Smartphones Take the Lead in Mobile Video Viewing

 In Newsletter

Streaming Media’s annual check on the state of online video is out, and the news media’s findings about video viewing on mobile devices aren’t surprising. Mobile video viewing continues to explode, and the smartphone is taking the lead as users’ mobile device of choice.

As of the second quarter of 2017, 57 percent of online video content was being consumed on mobile devices, making it the 23rd consecutive quarter that Streaming Media has seen this percentage rise. And all this video viewing is mostly being consumed on smartphones and tablets.

These findings jibe with research from the 2017 Ericcson Mobility Report, which found that 55 percent of mobile data traffic is video content. According to Ericcson, analysts expect that by 2023, 95 percent of mobile data traffic will be traveling through smartphones, with tablets, routers, and PCs accounting for the remaining 5 percent.

Research conducted by AOL, Inc. in 2017 revealed that an average of 65 percent of consumers watch live video on their smartphones.

Clearly, smartphones are an increasingly important delivery mechanism for video content. It’s critical for organizations to ensure that their video content is mobile-optimized, so users can view it properly and easily on their smartphones and other small-screen mobile devices.

Is 5G Finally on the Horizon?

When it comes to mobile video, 5G is the long-awaited next big thing. The applications that will be made possible by 5G are staggering. With 5G’s promise of miniscule 1-millisecond latency, buffering wait times will no longer drive users away.

According to Streaming Media, 5G technology will become slightly more attainable to only a small number of consumers this year. In 2017 Verizon trialed its 5G network in 11 cities, and in the second half of this year Verizon plans to roll out commercial availability of its 5G network in Sacramento, California. In 2019, T-Mobile plans to begin rolling out its 5G network with full expansion by 2020. And AT&T already began offering 5G in several U.S. cities in 2017.

However, Streaming Media predicts that consumers won’t see any viable 5G handsets until at least 2019 or 2020.

Recent Posts

Start typing and press Enter to search